Wow... 100% again!
Christmatica seems to have found its groove.
For the most part, I enjoyed the Oscars. I thought Chris Rock did an admirable job, but I didn't think he had the control of a Johnny Carson or Billy Crystal. Mabye that will come in time... we'll see.
At least he didn't pull any punches. I don't know if I'd go after Jude Law like that (don't get me wrong, I'd go after Jude Law... just in a different way. By 'different way' I mean I'd pay him to sleep with me... okay, I'd pay him just to sit and stare at him for 20 minutes). He was funny, just not FUNNY.
I was VERY excited about Sideways winning Best Adapted Screenplay. Such a wonderful movie.
Some other notes:
- When did The Simpsons' Sideshow Bob start singing for The Counting Crows?
- A STANDING OVATION for Chris Rock... at the BEGINNING? Johnny coming back, yeah, that deserves a Standing-O. Billy Crystal coming back... sure. But first time out of the gate? Not so sure... and after seeing the results--definitely a no.
- What was up with Scarlet Johansen's arm? It was flopping around like a dead fish.
- I did enjoy Chris Rock's comment about Producers waiting for the actor they really want... then again if you're looking for Salma Hayek, you can easily replace her with a Penelope Cruz (and vice versa).
- I found it interesting that Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz--two people with very thick and hardly understandable accents--gave out the best sound awards.
- I'm not sure if I like the bringing the nominees all on stage... Can you imagine heading back to your seat? "'Scuze me... I'm the guy who just lost... can you move your feet please?"
- I'm also not sure about the handing out awards to people in their seat. "No, no... don't bother getting up... you're really not that important."
- Why must the winners thank everyone they've ever met? Who are these people? Their lawyers, agents, friends, cousins, yada, yada, yada. What about your barrista? The kid who delivers your newspaper... the guy down by that place with the weird limp...
- Where was Peggy Flemming? Sure, she's not an actress and has no reason to ever attend, but we haven't seen much of her lately, and I felt the need to bring her name up.
- I know I mentioned it earlier, but Scarlet Johansen's arm flop was really disturbing to me.
- The handing out of the technical awards (by "L-Flop Scarlet") from the balcony was a little odd. I half-expected her to announce that the first person to climb up and get the Oscar will win it. (The other half expected her to grab it with that floppy arm and chuck it out to the crowd.
- It's amazing how "poor folk" like Hillary Swank can afford lawyers, managers, agents, stylists and a host of other hangers-on can win an Oscar.
- With all the build-up that Swank and Foxx were going to win, shouldn't they have at least come up with NEW acceptance speeches? They reused their speeches from the Golden Globes... and the SAG Awards.
- How much money did the Academy save having Beyonce warble through three nominated songs? Did she at least get three of the swag-bags?
- Lastly... Jeezus. That arm thing of Scarlet Johansen is going to give me nightmares!
I'm sure I'll come up with more on Monday, but I wanted to get some of this out before I forgot.
Only 365 days until the next telecast!