Friday, January 27, 2006

"Oh, Wolfie..."

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart turns 250 today. My gosh, to be remembered after 250 years… most people don’t make it past a second generation.* But Salzburg, the city of his birth is planning a huge celebration. Ironically, he was kicked out of the city while he was alive and he died in Vienna (buried in a pauper's grave)—which is also having a big celebration.

Oh, to have the kind of genius that that man had… his first symphony was written before he was 10 and his first significant opera at 12. Plus, he was instrumental in changing opera into the form we enjoy today. Incredible talent, to say the least.

So, if you only go out and rent Amadeus today, you could do worse to celebrate this significant date in music history.

Have a nice weekend… and listen to some music.**



* If you don’t believe me, off the top of your head, do you know the names of your great-grandparents? If you do, what do you know about them? Anything further back from that? You’re an anomaly if you do…

**by “music” I mean classical music. Every music collection should have a decent classical selection. I’m more of a Broadway Musical, Vocals and Classic Rock kind of guy… but I have some classical to throw in when need be.

2 comments:

Miladysa said...

Mozart fan eh?

I'm afaid I'm an anomaly :)

Unknown said...

I love classical music.
Everyone should here some Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Back and Rachmaninov in their lifetime.

Great post!! :)