Wednesday, February 21, 2007

"And The Oscar Goes To..."





Time was, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences would post its nominations for the Oscars and I would scratch my head and note that I had missed seeing one of the films (on bad years, it was two!). This year I looked at the list and struggled to find one movie I had seen.

Eventually, I found it (Borat), but I did manage to see a few more, although my count is up to a paltry 10… (of which only four are in the total of 14 films in the top six categories).

That said, let it never be said that Chrismatica™ is not willing to compete for the glory of Oscar and the rewards that it brings (sadly, neither monetarily, nor socially). So here are my predictions for the 2006 Academy Awards:

Best Picture: The Departed. No one saw any of these films, but this is the one they say is the best. Possible Upset: Little Miss Sunshine… but I doubt it.

Best Actress: Helen Mirren. From what I hear, she’s running unopposed…

Best Actor: Forest Whitaker. Possible Upset for Peter O’Toole, because he looks like he’s going to die at any minute. Another possible upset: Ryan Gosling will be let in the doors of the Academy without being stopped. Who is he? Seriously, who the heck is this guy?

Best Supporting Actress: That American Idol chick…

[REVISED] Best Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin —he’s old Hollywood (well, old by today’s standards) and it was a great performance. Possible Upset: Eddie Murphy—as long as they voted before Norbit came out…

Best Director: Too bad Martin Scorsese is going to win for a picture that is not nearly as good as any of his other films. He got the DGA award, it’s a lock.

Best Animated Film: Happy Feet (it’s got a freakin’ message). Cars could upset it, because those guys in LA LOVE their freakin’ cars…

Best Documentary Feature: An Inconvenient Truth. Everyone wants to see Al Gore win something. Possible Upset: The one about The Holocaust (there’s always one… and it always wins…)

Best Foreign Language Film: Let’s go with Pan’s Labyrinth. That looks good (No one sees these things, so it’s all about looks/feel).

Best Original Screenplay: Little Miss Sunshine It’s not going to win Best Picture, so we’ll give it a “good for you!” award.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Notes on a Scandal Lost at the WGAs, but it’s very “writerly” and I think they are already tiring over The Departed winner two big awards.

Best Original Score: Tough one… I’m sure the most awful will win, whichever that is. Let’s go with Babel, because when I closed my eyes and poked at the list, it’s the one I hit.







3 comments:

Michele said...

Such a funny post! You want to know something pathetic? I've only seen two of the movies up for awards: "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Pirates of the Caribbean II" (it's nominated for best sound or something). Gosh, I never go to the movies anymore, and I'm even behind on renting. I'm excited because I just got "Capote" from Film24. And that's the P.S. Hoffman Capote, not that other fake one by the guy from "Judging Amy." So I haven't even seen the films from last year...

Anyway, what's the Gumby joke? Is that a reference to The Bad News Bears? I don't get it because I never see any movies...

Michele said...

Wait a minute... Didn't I see a picture once of P.S. Hoffman in a picture with Dan, the guy from "Judging Amy," and they were holding an Oscar? Doh! Dan wrote THAT movie, didn't he? My bad. So who wrote the other "Capote" movie and why?

Chris said...

Michele, the Gumby joke is from a bit Eddie Murphy used to do on Saturday Night Live.