Friday, August 11, 2006

Mike Douglas (1925 - 2006)

Mike Douglas, the host of The Mike Douglas Show which I watched everyday throughout the 1970's died today on his 81st birthday. Gene Rayburn is gone, now Mike... how I will rue the day Merv Griffin dies.

I used to run home from school to flip between Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas* (while one was singing, the other was doing their monologue), then I would wait for the guests and the fun. I loved that show. I remember seeing Tiger Woods playing golf with Bob Hope! I always thought it odd that he was broadcasting from Philadelphia--I never quite understood that, but was upset when he eventually moved to New York.

I'm sure Totie Fields would have something funny to say about Mike. He's probably in heaven interviewing her and Peggy Cass right now...

Thanks for the fun, Mike!




*Actually, Match Game was on first, but it was a block of entertainment to me. I wouldn't watch just the one they were part of a 'package deal' that kept me going until almost dinner--or until my mom sent me outside into the "fresh air".

3 comments:

JPRESTI said...

I am right there with you. It is a sad day. I remember how great it was to see him on Rose a few years ago. She loved him too.

Michele said...

Chris, I'm older than you are but I only vaguely remember Mike. I know I watched his show but after school was the time my brother or sister would be beating the shit out of me, so I was distracted. I do seem to remember Donny and Marie on his show for a while, though... Was that true, or could it have been a hallucination caused by "sibling concussion?" ;-)

Gene Cowan said...

Thank God Brett Summers is still with us.