Tuesday, August 02, 2005

"Anyone Wanna Buy a Monkey?"

Have you ever wanted to make a sock puppet? Me neither, but this person did... only she wanted one that was really big! Meet Buttons, the giant sock puppet.

Creationism vs. Evolution

In a commentary on NPR today, the speaker stated that currently, everyone's opinion matters equally, regardless of your knowledge on a topic. So, scientists, who study a subject, are no more of an authority than someone who, without anything other than their beliefs, deems the scientists are wrong.

Take Evolution vs. Creationism. Now there is proof that man evolved. Creationism is based on faith. Now, I am one of the faithful, but I'm not an idiot. Do I believe that God created the heavens and earth in 7 days? Sure, why not? But 7 days to you and me is nothing to God. Billions of years pass and maybe-maybe-that's a day to God.

I find it odd that people take certain phrases from the bible literally, and will allow others to be interpreted: "God didn't mean to literally stone a woman for wearing a red dress... the dress signifies..." yada, yada, yada. However, mention "man should not lay with another man" and it's suddenly Crystal clear.

[If you want a good example of "wacko" laws in the bible, check out Leviticus... it's amazing how many "rules" are stated there which we don't follow... (except for the gay stuff). However, when God decided to send down 10 commandments, those can be left up to interpretation? Where are these people when preachers are adulterous? I don't think it could be any clearer than the 10 Commandments--the actual commandments, mind you, not the movie, which was too long for my tastes. I did, however, enjoy The Prince of Egypt, because they sang a lot.]

God gave us brains. We should use them and not turn away from them with the idea we are being "faithful." Personally, I think evolution just might win out in the end... and if this comic is true, it will happen sooner than you think.

You know, I'm just rambling right now... I think I'll go look at the giant sock puppet for a while...

No comments: