Monday, February 25, 2008

And the Oscar Went to…

Oscar de la Hoya... get it?

Chrismatica© my-not-really-patented-but-I’m-pretending-it-is Oscar predicting mathematical formula was once again triumphant in predicting the results of the 80th Academy Awards, with 66.6% accuracy—narrowly missing last year’s result of 100%.*

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" Called it!

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" Called it!

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose" WTF?! So… lipsyinc’ing is acting now… okay, then. Duly noted. I think I weighed the biopic too low and Julie Christie’s previous win too high. Adjustments to the formula have been made.

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Tilda Swinton in "Michael Clayton" WTF?! I guess they felt guilty for not nominating her for Orlando or The Deep End… still, I’m stumped.

Best animated feature film of the year
"Ratatouille" D'Oh!Okay, I totally missed this one… but it deserved to win, so I’m not upset.

Achievement in directing
"No Country for Old Men" Joel Coen and Ethan Coen Called it!

Best motion picture of the year
"No Country for Old Men" Called it!

Original screenplay
No Country for Old Men Called it!**

Adapted screenplay
Juno Called it!***



*Using the Bush/FOX “News” scale of accuracy. If Iraq can be labeled a “success” and Bush as “competent,” then a 33.3% miss is certainly accurate.

**I left this off the sheet I sent out… but I put it on my ballot at an Oscar party (and got it right), so I’m including it.

***Ditto

No comments: